Saturday, July 3, 2010

It's all so exciting

In life I like to get excited about all the things that happen. This is a top 8 list of some of the things I have gotten excited about in Safrica.

1) A few weeks ago I got excited about a really creepy portly man who came up to me and tried to sell me a gold chain hidden in his sleeve. Mostly it was something I just never thought I would experience. My friend Jon had to pull me away, don't worry I wouldn't have actually purchased anything.

2) This past week we got to visit and HIV clinic for babies. The great news is that with the proper care over 90 percent of theses little ones go on to live full and healthy lives. The exciting part was that I got to hold lots of little babies. One of the babies took great joy in pulling on my hair and another baby took great joy in just staring at me like I was a strange creature.

3) Today we visited African penguins! We didn't so much visit them as look at them because they actually don't talk to you... incase you were confused. However one came within inches of me and I'm pretty sure we are now best friends.

4) On Thursdays we go out at night on Long street (a popular street in the city) to talk to homeless people and prostitutes. This week we had one person come up to us and ask, "Hey are you sent by Jesus?" Um... yes... why do you ask?

5) Peanut butter is my number one food choice, although it has found a close rival, Oaties. It's a breakfast cereal that is more magically delicious than Lucky Charms. Every night when I go to sleep I anxiously anticipate the moment when I can get out of bed and eat a bowl of Oaties. I will probably go through withdraw when I come back to America.

6) Coffee, coffee, coffee. In life I never use to drink coffee, but recently I have become aware of the error of my ways. First of all, I have met a lot of amazing people in the coffee shops I've frequented over the past few weeks. Second of all, I have met a lot of great coffees. The only coffee I was not excited to meet was the americano that came complete with a bug spice that was only noticed once ingested...

7) Soccer... lots and lots of soccer. The thing I like most about soccer is that even though I don't fully understand the rules I still get to be really excited when people make goals!!! Oh and I like that the goalies are called keepers. The sad part is that I no longer know who to cheer for... maybe go Holland! I wish I had a vuvuzela. Ayoba!

8) Sweet as! It's an Australian saying of joy, but when you say it not in Australia people think you are saying something different. Last week I got excited and exclaimed, "sweet as!!" The people around me were mostly confused and bewildered.

No comments:

Post a Comment